Memorial Day weekend signals the onset of summer, and the start of the summer fruit season. May is designated strawberry month, and though we have reached the end of the month, it’s never too late to enjoy this perfect blend of tart plus sweet treat. Hands down, strawberries are one of my favorite fruits, and now that I am embarking on a journey to eat better, I love them even more because of their great nutritional value. Here are a five reasons you should eat strawberries:
- Strawberries are high in antioxidants and plant compounds which aid in the fight against cancer.
- Strawberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C which is important for the immune system and skin health.
- Strawberries are low in calories. A cup of strawberries is less than 50 calories.
- Fresh strawberries are high in water (91%) so their carb content is very low.
- Strawberries also have glycemic index of 40 which is fairly low.
If you’re like me, you don’t need an excuse to eat strawberries. I bought some just say I ate strawberries during National Strawberry month. But if you didn’t get to eat your fair share of strawberries this month, don’t worry; you have the rest of the summer. Eat up and enjoy!