Saturday, July 1, 2017

Institute for Teachers of Color Committed to Racial Justice (ITOC): A Reflection








I applied for and was accepted into the Institute for Teachers of Color Committed to Racial Justice (ITOC) conference in Los Angeles, California. Coming off a rough school year, I was ready to be around other educators with a like mindset. Like everywhere else, the emphasis is on raising standardized test scores, so social justice work takes a back seat if it has a seat at all.

I went to work on Monday to finish out a school year that I was glad to see end. Because I teach writing as enrichment, my class serves as a preparation period for teachers, and there is no love for prep teachers. Homeroom teachers just want to know that they are going to get their break. Outside of that we are invisible. In addition to feeling like I was being erased, I was also trying to recover from student involved trauma.

Feeling devalued and distressed, I pushed myself to get through those last two days. Initially excited about the ITOC conference, I began having doubts about attending. I was tired. I was dealing with too much, and I had anxiety about traveling alone. I didn’t know what to do with the emotions coursing through me. It was easier to just skip the conference and try again next year. But the easiest thing is not the best thing, so I decided to go anyway.

On Wednesday, I caught an early morning flight that put me in Los Angeles at the start of the conference. I went straight from the airport to the conference rolling my luggage behind me.
Breakfast was being served when I arrived, so I fixed myself a plate and found an empty table. A beautiful, young woman with locks whose name I don’t want to butcher invited me to sit at her table; I did. The morning went well. I loved the ice breakers because they allowed me to connect with other people and stay within my comfort zone—or not. 

At lunch, I went looking for my roommates and found my tribe: Sonya, Yolanda, Dara and Samantha. They welcomed me into the fold and made space for me.  Then I ran into Cecily, a woman I knew from Chicago. She and I worked together years 7 or 8 years ago, and I had not seen her since then. We’ve always shared positive energy so; it was good to reconnect. 

After the 1st workshop after lunch, I decided to go and check in. It had been a long day and we had dinner that night. I could not get the wifi working on my phone, so one of the organizers called a Lyft for me and paid for it. The next morning I tried to repay her and she refused to take the money. I’m sorry that I don’t remember her name.

Attending the ITOC conference was life-changing and reaffirming. In my life, I have been blessed to interact with people whose presence stays with me long after they’re gone. At the first school I worked, the staff was really like family. My women’s triathlon teammates helped me face my fears and finish what I started. My belly dance sisters, Nefertari, are friends for life. And now I can add ITOC to that list.  If I never attend another conference (I certainly hope that’s not the case), I can say that my first ITOC conference was amazing. 

ALL of my needs were met. I had healthy food options. I connected to people. I was in a safe space; I could breathe. So, I was able to soak up so much of the knowledge that was presented. I gained new knowledge, but I also learned that I am on the right track with my teaching. I was doing circles before restorative justice became the latest buzz word. I used to have my students do mood reports based on the weather, and I was reminded in one of the workshops that this is still an excellent way to keep my finger on the pulse of what’s happening. 

It’s been a week since I returned, and I’m still processing all that I learned and experienced. The conference was both professional development and a retreat all rolled into one. When I stepped off that plane in California, I was broken. When I got back on the plane headed home, I felt renewed and ready to not only work for social justice, but to live a life of social justice.


2 comments:

  1. My boyfriend has been cheating on me for months and I had no idea, I searched all over to get help spying his phone but I didn't. I finally found a reliable hacker to help and I strongly recommend worldcyberhackers@gmail.com to anyone who needs help spying their partner. I was able to access his phone contents without touching and It literally worked without traces. Don't hesitate to message worldcyberhackers@gmail.com if you need help with hacking and spying


    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT DEVELOPMENT GOALS ON ONLINE FUNDING ACCOUNTS. (3min read.)
    CRYPTOCURRENCY (BITCOIN) underhanded agency. The world's interesting array on financial change you wouldn't ever want to regret missing out on. Here is a global focus fully immersed to a degree that the subject in question Is an highly profitable finance worthwhile experience on merits. The organisation Constructing a long focus on funding your cryptocurrency(bitcoin) wallet with an enormous amounts of coins, including PAYPAL ACCOUNT, ONLINE BANK ACCOUNTS, ATM, and CREDIT CARD LOADING/CREDIT CARD DEPT CLEARANCE. Up a world of unimagined decentralized possibilities, where more online banking funds on value can be built, transferred, and managed with greater ease and transparency via Hacking.
    Being a victim of CRYPTOCURRENCY(bitcoin) Funds Mishap prompt our effort on finance cyber scandal focus (CSF). And the most interesting, Bitcoin Wallet Hack Rectification (BWHR), Bitcoin loading, PayPal loading, credit cards/ATM hack.
    Firstly,⚠warning!
    With money making, scam is a pretty common occurence today. Consumers have to be on a watch at any atrempt on financial fraud. That includes an ultimate addition of insult to injury. Be wary of forgeries who target victim of previous con, luring you in with bogus promises and you can even be charge for actions you could do on your own.
    This is a life time transformation with the professionals."
    You been trying so hard to meet with the real deal and changing your financial status to a massive ultimate crypto/dollar bill here is where your search ends. There is never a pleasure in been poor.
    As a strong and established personnel of cryptocurrency (bitcoin), PayPal, credit card user, in the terms of solid community, we strive to continue our mission on helping Individuals who are facing various cyber problems mostly the bitcoin hack swindles. Good news comes rare and it's left for us to whether cherish such glittering ounce of it like a priceless diamond or the otherwise.
    As part of our core mission and value to fix a dysfunctional bitcoin wallet accounts back to it normal stability and increasingly loading different accounts with huge funds via a dominant online crocked cyber tech algorithms. Taking a weighty focus on bitcoin hacks, For instance, wallet account facing problems which incudes.
    ▪Slack hacking bots,
    Fradulent bitcoin minning through brokers
    ▪Wallet hack,
    ▪Bitcoin minning pool and exchage hacking,
    ▪Changing wallet addresses
    ▪Cryptocurrency theft,
    ▪Freeze mining on crptocurrency.
    Here you are been given a chance to recover what you thought you lost and earnestly making a lot of funds via this highly classified information. This is a global information that navigates a newbie to a prominent encounter. We treat every request with patience and outmost confidence. Basically, hacking requires patience and no funds related successful hack goes lesser than 16 hours. The bottomline is we make a purposeful use of the time in lenience to attain a positive result to our clients.
    For our prominent services like Paypal funds loading, credit card dept clearance, credit card loading, website hack, social media hack, and one of the most important is loading up an empty online bank account with huge funds according to the account's capacity, you will all find your deepest longings to be reviewed. It's always like a dream.
     The job with the Globalhacks will be a sudden bursts of complete transformative joy and this is reality to your dreams.
    For more solid info and help,
    Contact:
    Cryptobase.hack(at)protonmail(.)com
    Globalhacktech(at)protonmail(.)com for proficient services.
    AndrewHay©️LLC 2019

    ReplyDelete